Thursday 6 February 2014

An event that has shaped my life and the person I have become


My life changed after I moved to my grandfather's house. My grandfather doted on me but was very firm with me as well. He was more than just my grandfather. Till today, I respect him as my mentor and I will never forget what he  taught and did for me.

I remember at the age of 7, my grandfather never failed to bring me to the neighbourhood playground that we used to visit after my school. Besides spending time with me during his free time, my grandfather would play Chinese Chess with his neighbours. Although my grandfather was good in playing Chinese Chess, I refused to learn from him whenever he offered to teach me. Thinking back, I regret not appreciating his hobby and refused to learn and play with him.

What I looked up to him for was his patience and unconditional love to people. My grandfather was faithful to his religion and job as a church volunteer. He never failed to attend church every weekend and would share his experiences as a volunteer with me. He also taught me to appreciate whatever I had and not to take things for granted. However, at the age of 89, he passed away. All of a sudden, I felt a sense of emptiness without him in my life as I was so used to seeing him everyday.

Today, there are still memories of him whenever I went back to my grandfather house. He was the most influential person who played a major role in shaping my life and the person I have become. His attitude towards serving people motivated me to participate in various local or overseas community services.

Words Count: 284

8 comments:

  1. Hello Seok Yin.
    I really liked how you described your memories with your grandfather. He must have been a pretty great grandfather to inculcate such admirable values in you.
    I felt that your post had a good flow from the introduction to the end. I did spot some minor errors while reading.
    1. What I looked up on him was his patience and unconditional love to people.
    Possible Correction: What I looked up on him was his patience and unconditional love for people. (I felt that it should be ‘for’ instead of ‘to’, but I might be wrong.)

    2. Today, there are still many reminiscences of him whenever I came back to my grandfather house.
    Possible Correction: Today, there are many reminiscences of him whenever I come back to my grandfather’s house.

    Other than that, I thought your reflection was well written. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Elizabeth, I appreciate your willingness to share this personal reflection with us. The description makes it easy for us to imagine how you and your grandfather interacted, and you make clear why you respect him so much.

    While this is generally fluent, there are a few verb problems in this post:

    1) My life has changed after I moved…. >>>

    2) ….and I would never forget what he had taught and done for me. >>>

    3) Thinking back, I regretted for not appreciating his hobby and refused to learn and play with him. >>>

    Let's talk about these in class.

    Thank you for the fine effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Seokyin !
    It's nice to see how your grandfather's kind actions have motivated you to do the same ! I'm actually pretty envious of you as you had the chance to spend time with him when you were younger, I've never seen my grandfathers before :X don't be too sad about him not being with you now because his spirit now lives in you ! I'm sure he would be relieved to see you volunteering like he did and would be proud of you ! (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Seok Yin, thanks for sharing your memories with your grandfather, I enjoyed reading your post as i have never been really close to my grandparents and i always envy how some people could do that. After reading your post, i feel that i should visit my grandparents more often!

    ReplyDelete