Thursday 17 April 2014

Critical Reflection


I am not disappointed at all after knowing that I have to do ES1102. I had expected that I would need to do this module before the results were announced to us. My English was not very good as I never got an "A" grade for any of my English assignments or exams. During the course of my study in Polytechnic, I had difficulty in writing a good report and would always need to seek assistance from my friends and teachers. I felt frustrated as it seems that no matter how hard I tried, I could never write a good report by myself.
 
Learning English is a process and it requires much time and effort to master it. I was glad that I was given the opportunity to do this module. This module has taught me many things that I found useful whenever I write a report or essay. For instance, I am taught how to write a proper and good thesis statement. I do not remember I have learned any of it before doing this module. I believe that writing a thesis statement is important as it guides the writer to keep the essay focused and aids the reader understanding. Furthermore, I am taught how to cite sources in my report properly. Citation is the basis of academics in which any person who is in pursuit of knowledge has to know how to do citation.
 
Blogging, one of the main activities in this module that I never enjoy doing it, has forced me to practice writing and commenting on other students' writings. However, as I started to blog more often, I felt that blogging is an effective form of self-expression. Blog is like my personal diary. It allows me to look back from where I began and evaluate how much I have changed to a better one.

All in all, I believe that the class has enjoyed the learning experience as much as I did. Through the entire semester in ES1102, I am glad that I have made friends who shared the same experience and difficulties while dealing with English as me. As mentioned earlier, learning English is a process. I will not stop learning and improving my English even if I am not doing any English module for my future semester.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Seok Yin,

    Thanks for your detailed and generally clear reflection. You describe your situation in the past, your expectations and some of the activities from the course that you find useful quite well. I appreciate that effort.

    Now you need to continue on the path of improvement. In Gibb’s Model of Reflection, there is space for an action plan for future development. Though you haven’t mentioned that here, I assume you have one. Your English use and writing in specific will only improve, but it will take an effort and a map of direction to expedite that.

    Best of luck as you work toward your future goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Brad, Thank you for your valuable feedback!

      Delete